Sweet Potato Soup, another yummy one that the whole family loves. I got the recipe out of the February 2017 Southern Living magazine but there were definitely some errors in the print so I’m getting partial credit for this one.
– 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
– 2 cups chopped Yellow Onion
– 1 cup chopped Carrots
– 1 Tbsp. chopped Garlic
– 3 lbs. Sweet Potatoes, peeled & cut into 1/2″ cubes
– 2 lbs. Yukon Gold Potatoes, peeled & cut into 1/2″ cubes
– 1-1/2 tsp. Salt
– 1 tsp. Black Pepper
– 1 tsp. Ground Cumin
– 1/4 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
– 1/8 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
– 7 cups Chicken Stock
*NOTE* I used my Dutch Oven to make this but any large pot will do just fine.👌🏼
- Chop everything first (Always. It makes this whole process a hellova lot easier!) I also measured out all my spices and put them in a small bowl so they’re ready to go as well.
- Heat oil in a large Dutch Oven or pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and carrots and cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add sweet potatoes, Yukon potatoes, salt, black pepper, cumin, cinnamon and cayenne pepper and cook for another minute, stirring.
- Add chicken stock, bring to a boil. Then, reduce heat to medium-low and allow to simmer for 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Strain potatoes BUT, save your stock so put a large bowl under your colander when you strain.
- Transfer your potato mixture back into the pot if using an Immersion Blender or put small portions into a blender at a time; blend your potato mixture until smooth. Slowly add the chicken stock to your potato mixture until you reach your desired consistency.
- If you’d like, top your Sweet Potato Soup with toasted chopped pecans and plain yogurt. If you’re like me, eat as is because you don’t need all that fancy shit!